Making sense of the timeline of Mr. Robot one of the most necessary steps to understanding WTF is happening with Elliot and the gang. Non-linear storytelling can be hard to follow, even with reliable narrators, and continuity errors only confuse the matter more. I personally get a real kick out of trying to figure it out.
Clues Chronological by airdate
Pilot/Ep1 – depicts Feb 5-March 2, 2015
Episode 102 – depicts ~ March- Early April 2015
Episode 103 – depicts April 2015
Episode 104 – March 27-29, 2015
Elliot sobers up & has his crazy hallucination.
Episode 105 – March 31, 2015
Episode 106 – April 1, 2015
Episode 107 – May 1, 2015
Episode 108 – April 14, 2015
Episode 109 – 5/9/2015
Episode 110 – May 12, 2015
(Boardwalk Fail video uploaded to Vimeo on Aug 26, 2015.)
- Elliot answers a knock at his door and finds Darlene with the mask Oct 31, 2014. (s2)
- E’s not seen Darlene in months (she confirms).
- E’s already had one dissociative episode with the lost job/hack; he wakes up in the room with no memory of what happened just hours before.
- E’s already spoken to Angela regarding potential Allsafe job but we don’t know how it came up or whose idea it was for him to work there.
- E’s in possession of Edward’s “mr. Robot” jacket, which darlene’s maybe never really seen before.
Romero takes Mobley to Fun Society on/around Christmas that year.
- Mobley already knows a Guy (Elliot) who has a Plan (attack ecorp/eliminate debt)
- The crew that will become “fsociety” is in its infancy, ready to start operations at its new location by the top of 2015.
- Elliot’s already been working Allsafe for a bit.
- FSociety is has totally moved into, and is operating in, the arcade.
- Elliot has dissociated again, he doesn’t remember fsociety or Darlene at this time.
- Elliot googles the arcade and reads the article from 18-months prior, August 2013.
- Angela’s birthday & ddos attack are in February 2015.
- Allsafe meeting with E Corp and the government suits likely took place on Monday, February 9, 2015.
- 19 days after the meeting, still no news of Colby, brings us to Saturday, February 28
- March 2, 2015, Terry Colby arrested.
- March 13, 2015 – on Elliot’s Medical Records
- Elliots hospital records are from 3/13/2015
- Cisco’s computer as he is watching Ollie’s webcam and messaging with someone in an Chinese-looking alphabet, presumably the Dark Army. His computer’s date: Thurs, March 27 2015
- Talking about breaking into Steel Mountain and hacking the environmental controls in e1.03, Elliot says “It’s not happening until April 1st. It’s only the 29th” – “In 3 days, one Steel Mountain becomes 5.”
- Mobley’s computer in the minivan says Sat Mar 29 4:45PM. (March 29 2015 was a Sunday. )
- March 31st – Steel Mountain Exploit
- March 31st – Shayla is missing.
- April 1 – ECorp changes its backup methods
- April 1 – Last time we see Shayla (e6)
- April 1 – Vera calls Elliot from Jail
- Elliot falls off the Coney Island Boardwalk railing in early April 2015, this is also when the Boardwalk Fail video is taken.
- Detectives come over to the Wellick’s house, the tv references place us before April 14.
- Drug tests are taken, processed and changed on 4/20 (lol), 4/21, and 4/22, respectively.
- Colby has publically implacated himself for the ddos err, per an article (in e1.2) dated 4/21/2015 3:12PM.
- May 1 – Elliot at Therapy with Krista, a month since Shayla’s death. (ep7)
- May 9 – 5/9
- May 9 – the day Elliot realizes he’s Mr. Robot.
- Elliot sneaks off to fsociety with Tyrell while Darlene’s out refilling his medications.
- May 12 – Elliot wakes up in Tyrell’s car, finds a pair of sunglasses in the visor, with a hidden usb drive.
Here’s the impressive tumblr post by fuckyeahmrobot: